Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sunday Morning Crepes

Hello! Clearly I have been absent for most of the fall and winter months, and one might think that I have been hibernating throughout the long and cold winter months, buried in snow, shoveling several times a week, keeping cover from wind gusts and staying warm from the biting cold air.

Nope.  Can't say that I have... It's been a great winter here in Vancouver.  I guess I have been caught up in the day-to-day stuff.  My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy this summer and we are so excited!  I have spent countless hours researching where to go and how to get there, where to stay, and most importantly, where to eat!  He knows how much I love Italian food so he gave me a pasta maker and a pizza stone for Christmas.  Since then, I have made fresh pasta, thin-crust pizza, and artisan bread in my very own kitchen. 

I have also been running... a lot!  In fact, it's been an amazing winter for running; lots of sunshine and mild temperatures (for the most part) which was perfect for the lead up to my second half marathon that I ran two weeks ago.

Sorry to everyone else in the country that has been putting up with one of the coldest winters in years.  Although, as I'm writing this post, there is a snow fall warning for Vancouver, which means that tomorrow morning, I will be doing a whole lot of nothing with the exception of making a great cup of coffee and some crepes.



This recipe is very simple to make and it's a family recipe that I just love.  What's great is that the basic recipe is a bare canvas to add your own flavours.  You can enjoy them plain with maple syrup which is my favorite, but you can also add sweet or savory flavours.

I remember when I was little, my mom made these crepes and served them for dessert with  fruit flambĂ© and whipped cream. 

My dad made them for weekend brunch; he added sharp cheddar cheese when the crepe was cooking in the pan.  That was too weird for me back then, but now, I've started doing the same, and it's genius!

The recipe that I'm sharing with you today is both sweet and savory, and let me tell you, it's a beautiful thing!

Ingredients
Makes 12 crepes

2 large eggs
1 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup all purpose white flour
1/4 cup instant oats (not large flake)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
Maple syrup
chopped toasted walnuts or pecans

Here's how I make them:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs.  As you continue to beat, add the sugar, salt and alternate between flour and oats.  Finally add the milk, melted butter and vanilla.  The batter will be quite runny.  Let this stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.

Using a non-stick pan, melt a little bit of butter on medium heat.  Your first crepe might be a "test" as you need the right temperature for it to cook but not burn.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan and swirl in a circular motion to coat the pan evenly.  Cook for about 2 minutes or until slightly brown.  Using a spatula, lift the edges of the crepe to lift it and flip over to the next side.  If you are adding cheese, now is the time to add it.  Add about 2 tbsp of sharp cheddar and let cook for another minute or two.   Transfer the crepe onto a plate and place in the oven to keep warm.

Repeat with the rest of the batter.  When you're ready to serve, top crepes with walnuts or pecans, and a good drizzle of maple syrup.

What do you add to your crepes?

Happy Sunday :)

Photography by: Melissa LeBlanc

No comments:

Post a Comment