Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cauliflower 3 ways

Wow how time flies! It has been 3 months since my last post!  People have been asking me when I will post my next recipe so 3 months away means 3 recipes today... well sort of.

I was at the market a few weeks ago on a sunny Saturday morning.  Just at the entrance of the market there was a stand with a mountain of fresh, local cauliflower.  I don't know about you, but I love cauliflower.  I think that most people aren't quite sure what to do with it other than serve it raw along side other veggies as part of a plate of crudités with dip.  Well, I hope to inspire you today with a few fresh ideas.

Recipe #1: Roasted Cauliflower

 

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss the cauliflower florets gently with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet in a single layer.  Roast in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes.

All on it's own, this is an excellent side dish!  Give it a try, if you think you don't like cauliflower, I bet you'll change your mind.

Recipe #2: Mung Bean Curry with Cauliflower

 

One of my favorite cuisines is definitely Indian food, and one of my favorite cook books is Vij's at HomeThe famous Indian fusion restaurant VIJ's is just 3 blocks from my apartment, but the recipes in his book are really simple to make, and unbelievably delicious.  They are so good that I have no problem making a big pot of curry on the stove on a hot summer day.... Which is exactly what I did in August.  I did tweak the recipe to include the cauliflower, however, and I happened to have some leftover chick peas in the fridge so I threw those in as well.  The end product?  Awesome :)

Ingredients:

1 cup mung beans
1 head of cauliflower, roasted (recipe above)
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp chopped garlic (9 cloves)
1 28oz can pureed tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp crushed cayenne pepper
4 cups water
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped cilantro and good handful of fresh spinach leaves

Wash and drain mung beans and set aside

Heat oil in a medium pot on medium-high.  Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for 45 seconds, or until they are darker brown.  Add garlic and saute for 3 - 4 minutes, until brown but not burned.  Stir in tomatoes, then ginger, and other spices.  Stir and saute for 5 more minutes.  Add water and mung beans, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.  Taste beans to make sure they are cooked.

Stir in coconut milk, cauliflower, and chick peas, and increase the heat to medium-high.  Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.  Stir in cilantro and serve over brown rice.

Recipe #3: Silky Cauliflower Soup with Parmesan Crisps

 

I traveled to Montreal a couple of weeks ago, and the night before I left, I noticed that I still had a few veggies in the fridge that needed to be eaten before leaving, including a cauliflower.  This next recipe doesn't take more than 20 minutes, and is in my repertoire of my go-to soups.  I made this soup, divided it into single serving containers, and placed them in the freezer. 

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the leaves and thick core from the cauliflower, coarsely chop, and reserve. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the cauliflower is very soft and falling apart, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and, using a hand held immersion blender, puree the soup, or puree in small batches in a blender* and return it to the pot.

Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the shredded cheese over the foil in 1 even thin layer. Bake about 10 minutes until golden brown and crisps. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Break sheet of crisp cheese into large pieces and garnish each soup bowl with a couple shards and a pinch of fresh chives.

This recipe was sourced from: The Food Network

Photography by: Melissa LeBlanc
 

No comments:

Post a Comment